Family Options Inc. is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by reason of your customer relationship with Family Options Inc. This policy explains the types of customer personal information we collect, how its used and the steps we take to ensure your personal information is handled appropriately.
Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and corresponding provincial privacy acts.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information that refers to an individual specifically and is recorded in any form. Personal information includes such things as age, income, date of birth, medical records and credit records. Information about individuals contained in the following documents is NOT considered personal information:
- Public telephone directories where the subscriber can refuse to be listed
- Professional and business directories available to the public
- Certain public registries and court records
- Certain other publicly available printed and electronic publications
Our commitment to your privacy is governed by the following privacy principles:
We are accountable to you
Family Options Inc. is responsible for all personal information under its control, including any personal information that is transferred to third parties for processing, storage or other purposes.
We let you know why we collect your personal information
Family Options Inc. identifies the purpose for which your personal information is collected. We do this before or at the time the information is actually collected.
We obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information
Family Options Inc. obtains your consent to collect, use or disclose personal information. The method of obtaining consent is appropriate to the type of personal information being collected, used or disclosed:
- Family Options Inc. will obtain your express consent (verbal, written or electronic agreement) to collect, use or disclose sensitive personal information such as medical data or personal financial information.
- Family Options Inc. will use implied consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information where one or more of the following apply:
- A customer relationship already exists
- Express consent has previously been given
- Where the purpose of using the personal information is reasonably apparent to you
You can change your consent preferences at any time by contacting Family Options Inc. per the contact information below.
We limit collection of your personal information
Family Options Inc. collects only the information required to provide you with our products and services. If the personal information we require is collected for a reason other than to provide products and services, your consent will be obtained before or at the time the information is collected. Family Options Inc. will collect personal information only by clear, fair and lawful means. Examples of why we collect personal information include:
- Communicating with you generally
- Processing your applications
- Processing and keeping track of transactions and reporting back to you
- Protecting against fraud or error
- Providing products and services requested by you
- Recommending products and services that Family Options Inc. believes will be of interest and provide value to you
- To comply with legal and governmental requirements
We limit use, disclosure and retention of your personal information
Family Options Inc. uses and discloses your personal information only for the purpose it has collected. Family Options Inc. does not sell or rent personal information to any organization or person for any reason.
We do not share your personal information with third party organizations except to offer you a product or service. If your personal information is shared with third parties, these third parties are bound by appropriate agreements with Family Options Inc. to secure and protect the confidentiality of your personal information.
We may use service providers located outside of Canada and if applicable, your personal information may be processed and stored in other countries and therefore may be subject to disclosure under the laws of those countries.
Family Options Inc. retains your personal information only as long as it is required for our business relationship or as required by federal and provincial laws.
We keep your personal information up to date and accurate
Family Options Inc. keeps your personal information up to date, accurate and relevant for its intended use.
You may request access to the personal information we have on record in order to review and amend information as appropriate. In circumstances where your personal information has been provided by a third party, we will refer you to that party, i.e. credit bureau. To access your personal information, please refer to the contact information below.
The security of your personal information is a priority for Family Options Inc.
We take steps to safeguard your personal information regardless of the format in which it is held including:
- Physical security measures such as restricted access facilities and locked filing cabinets
- Electronic security measures for computerized personal information such as password protection, database encryption and personal identification numbers
- Organizational processes such as limiting access to your personal information to a selected group of individuals
- Contractual obligations with third parties who need access to your personal information requiring them to protect and secure your personal information
We are committed to providing you with understandable and easily available information about our policy and practices related to management of your personal information. This policy and any related information is available at all times on our web site.